Welcome Home

The title of this blog comes from the words of Indian Prime Minister Nehru after the passing of Mahatma Gandhi. "The light that shone in this land was no ordinary light," Nehru said of the peaceful modern saint. The name of this blog, which chronicles my journey deeper into Spirit, is to remind us that there is no such thing as an ordinary light. The spiritual scriptures of many traditions such as the Bible, the Vedas, the Siri Guru Granth Sahib, the Koran and others all tell us that God is Light and so are we. It is the essence of who we are as a universe. Turn on your inner glow and shine it like a search light across the darkness of the world. We are the stuff of suns and stars.
We are no ordinary lights.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Tibetan Partner

Today in Rishikesh Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa taught a Kundalini yoga class to several hundred people on the banks of the Ganges as part of an international yoga festival. We did a wonderful kriya to raise the heavens within ourselves and then a meditation to merge with the waves of the Ganga. To my immediate right was a Tibetan Lama who had traveled for six days with about twenty children from his school in order to participate in the festival. Holding this Lama's hand doing my meditation, I was struck by the Buddhist practice of never praying only for yourself. I began to pray that all sentient beings be freed from suffering and experience the heavens within. Too often in my yoga practice, it becomes about releasing my anger or raising my kundalini. Too much my, my, my. Let us all stand in for humanity in our yogic practices and raise us all into a new paradigm. May we pray that the benefit we receive from a practice of yoga be shared amongst all sentient beings everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment